Thursday 9 October 2014

Adobe inside Apple's walled garden

So Adobe pushed out the mobile apps, to create brushes, vector forms, sketches, develop your DSLR photos, postwork them and even do some video editing, all for IOS!

And I thought, what the the heck?!

Are there so much more IOS devices out there than anything else?

When I look around me, the people who use IOS devices, be it phone or pad, are anything but power users, they go with what is on the device or what is "en vogue" for apps. And there are 1 or 2 in 10 that do have an IOS device, the large part is on Android. I think, that is about the same everywhere else.
Sofar for the question of quantity.
Link

IOS user are the creative people?

Again, what I found is that the IOS user around me are rather defined by a lack of creativity! Don't get me wrong, there are thousands of creative people out there who do use IOS devices! But my guess is that there are far more with Android devices (simple maths: more Android users = more creative Android users).
Well, that's for the creativity!

So why IOS only (at least for the moment, year, decade)?

Historically Apple/MacIntosh computers were the first affordable (in a top price sense) personal computers that allowed the user to be creative. And this image seems to be still around. You will find even today people telling you, that you cannot be creative on a Windows or Linux machine!
Come on peeps, wake up! Know of any FX studio or game developer who uses Macs as main working horse?

 So to me it looks as if Adobe is aiming a part of the market that does have the money (look only at the Apple prices for a device that on release lags two years behind the rest of the players!) but are these the people that would buy and use the apps that Adobe is creating?
I have my doubts!

Would I want to use the mobile apps on my Android devices?
Of course, these are awesome tools and to switch seamlessly from mobile to desktop and back is a giant plus for me and others.

Would I switch to IOS to be able to use the apps?
Hell no bloody f...... way! I prefer the wide open range to the walled garden (and I know what I am talking about, I had an Iphone for almost a year!).

So what do I do?

No Lightroom mobile for Android? No sale for Adobe, instead I bought Photo Mate R2, works great on my Galaxy Note 8, I can do anything in it which I do in Lightroom on my desktop computer and you can reach the developer easily via his Google+ community.

No Photoshop Sketch for Android? No sale for Adobe, I bought instead Autodesk Sketch Book Pro to sketch out some ideas or do some painting.

And sooner or later you'll find a replacement for the other Adobe apps!

Sure, not as easy to use on all your devices mobile or fixed, but if they don't want my money, I'll give it to someone who does.

Would I switch back to Adobe if they bring out the same apps for Android in one, two or five years?
Doubtful, why should I change from an app which I know inside out to something I don't know? Especially since Adobe seems to consider the Android part of the mobile market as the poor stepchild.

So Adobe, if you want to bring out the same mobile apps for Android, do it quick or you may find that nobody has been waiting for your move!



No comments:

Post a Comment