Wednesday 18 March 2015

You must be kidding!

Ok, I have been quiet for a while, two reasons for that:

1. One of my harddisks died suddenly, the one with the OS partition and we had other, more important things to do than buying a new one.

2. When I got the new one (1tb) I reinstalled Windows 7, all my software and wanted to start working on the Martinique photos when a Windows update broke some stuff and I had to start anew. And this happened twice!

So I was boiling! Ready to kick my computer out of the window (no pun intended).

I took a long walk, calmed down and decided to take another route. I dl'ed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit and installed it using an USB stick, which worked just great, took about 20 minutes.

There was a time to get used to the new OS, hunting down Linux software to replace my Windows stuff. The bad news Adobe's CC does not work under Linux, nor using Wine!

Well, I found Shotwell and Darktable to replace Lightroom, no sweat here. Especially Darktable is a great app to work and develop RAW files, really!

And to replace Photoshop? Well there really is only The Gimp! And I can't say that I like it, it will take a long time before I get used to the UI (hoping that some day before that Adobe may decide to make a Linux version of Photoshop and Lightroom, and yes I know, hell will freeze over before).

To make it short, I am up and running again and there will be more stuff in the next days and weeks, especially photos from Martinique, my experience with Ubuntu and the apps I use, new photos and so on.

So hang in, the blog will go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment