Thursday 19 March 2015

Old tech, new tech

I think I have already said that the day I re-started with photography, I was more than surprised by the lack of invention and really new cameras on the market.

Don’t understand me wrong, I stopped photography for a couple of reasons in 1995 and almost every camera was an analogue camera, I used film every day. The next time I started to look again into photography was two years ago when I got my Galaxy S3.

Oh I can hear you: Wtf! A smart phone camera is not really a camera! Well, let me put it this way, it is a real camera! It is not a DSLR for sure, but it is at least a point and shoot camera. I used and still use «A Better Camera» instead of the stock app and can’t imagine anything else because of its features and ease of use.

You can have a grid on the screen to help composing your photo, can have a horizon to keep it level, see the histogram and ... and ... and ... Lots of great features to help you make (technically) better photos. Took hundreds of photos with it, and honestly, I have created more crap with a «real» camera. I may post some of them sometime.

So when I looked for a DSLR I was baffled by the lack of such features all over the market. I mean, guys, it is twenty years later, and the only real difference is, the film is replaced by a sensor! I exaggerate, of course there is more than that, but the cameras still look like a bloody «last century camera». There is a sensor in it, why do they still use a shutter, mirror and prism? Where is the cool SF stuff like remote control over a second screen from 10 m distance, where is the connection to a Wifi hotspot or network?

I could see hundreds of things that could have been done to make a camera to a real 21st century tool. Not because I have a fertile fantasy, no, because I have had it already in my smart phone! And there are people out there with 10 000$ equipment with outdated features and techniques, telling me I don’t use a real camera?!

Lately there are some new cameras coming out, mirror-less, connected, with a new approach. Namely the Samsung NX 1 and NX 30 (there are others of course, but my eyes got caught by these). And when I look on the web, the usual suspects (aka the camera testing sites) compare a 1500$ body to 5000$ DSLR bodies, new tech to old tech. They test them in the same way as they would test any other DSLR, of course you need to see how fast the AF works, but I have yet to see a test of the remote control possibility via an app on smart phone or tablet.


Well, as soon as money allows, the NX 1 will be mine, the camera who does almost everything I have dreamed of!

No comments:

Post a Comment