Tuesday 11 November 2014

DIY Macro lens

Well, again a boring grey day, what to do with it?

There in a drawer was still that old, broken 50mm lens with its lens hood. I never threw it away, always thought that I may find a use for it, and today I found it!

Build a macro lens with it!

We know that a normal lens works best for things further away, but when we hold it with the front lens against the camera, we can focus easily on things very close and small. So I dismantled the lens, kept only the lens block with the aperture mechanism. I mounted the lens hood on the front lens and did a quick test by holding the lens hood against the camera and it worked quite good.

But how to fix that all to the camera body?

I took a camera cap, cut out the inner section and glued it to the front rim of the lens hood. Now I could mount the lens almost like a normal lens. And it works also with my macro extension rings!

I did a couple of test shots and was quite satisfied with the results, but a bit more light would have been nice.

A Pringle tube gave me another idea, well not really Pringle, but something close enough. I opened both ends, made two cuts in one end to slip it onto the pop up flash, cut out an ellipsoid halfway down the tube to bend down the front part, gave an angle to the front part and had my macro reflector for pop up flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment